Friday, January 27, 2012

Walls: Continued

The weather has been as good as promised the last 10 days or so. The only issue is the dewpoint is quite high which requires some patience especially as things tend to be rather damp unil mid-day and my no-blush epoxy is blushing a bit.


I've made good progress on some of the hull planking. I have around 12' of the outboard side planked and the next 8'piece rough cut and glassed. On the inboard I got a 8' piece attached today so have nearly 20' done on inboard. As is typical, the planking has proven to be a surprisingly large job to get it to look good. A typical large panel takes a good half day to fit, screw and fillet in addition to the time to drill all the holes and glass and sand the inside surfaces.






As I mentioned, I've put a lot of effort into getting the inside joints clean and well filleted. I hadn't initially considered a bright finish for the interior, but I now thinking these bunk areas will be bright finished with the bulkheads painted an off-white or creme color. The colors of the wood look so nice it seems a shame to paint them. Note in this picture I still need to go back and sand the butt blocks and give them a coat or two of epoxy. This picture is taken from the floor under the transom looking forward.

2 comments:

  1. the project is going well.
    I anjoy your blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. sailing up the coast to lake ontario and looking to visit as many woods cruising cats as possible along the way, richard turned me on to your build and would love to get together. will be sailing for St.augustine tomorrow if the wx holds, should be in on thurs. march 22/12. please contact us if you have time to meet up.
    cheers,
    jim in new smyrna beach
    jameslambton@hotmail.com us cell 713-301-7321

    ReplyDelete