Friday, January 13, 2012

IT LOOKS LIKES.......

A bird? A plane?
Hopefully more like a boat to most.



Fitting the stringers has been a bit more work than expected, but has gone quite smoothly and enjoyably. I currently have 4 glued in and the large fully 1" by 3" wing/ bridgedeck stringer mostly fitted and will glue tomorrow. I've monkeyed around with the placement a bit to get the galley counter top to rest on a stringer as well as the aft and forward bunks. I still also need to do gunwales which I have the timbers cut and scarfed for.
Once they're all fitted I need to laminate an additional 1 by 4 to the stem and plan to epoxy coat all the stringers prior to planking. Hopefully by the end of next week I will be close to planking.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, impressive progress for such a short time I think.

    You say you will epoxy coat the stringers before planking, would this include the surfaces that will be bonded to the planking? If so you will have 'secondary bonding'. Your experience of plywood boat building is more than mine, so I am not sugesting you are wrong, just wondering what is the best method.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan to tape the outside of the stringers first. I will also sand the outside of stringers and the bulkhead framing with my 1/2 sheet sander and 40 grit paper after coating to clean up any drips and fair it all up a bit more.

      The planing will be covered with 3.25 oz cloth on the inside, but I am coating with a non-blush resin and will rough up the contact areas with the stringers.

      Delete