Sunday, December 25, 2011

Perspective

I should have spent Friday on a customer's boat, but the weather was so nice I decided to do a bit more bulkhead work. These bigger bulkheads are around 5' wide and the sheets of ply 4' so some creativity is required to maximize the bulkhead size and minimize the waste of ply. I've decided to continue on with just the bulkheads for the starboard hull as the layout is a bit different especially in my boat that will have a full length berth forward of the galley and provision for a temporary visitor berth forward of the head on the port side.

This is bulkhead #5 which will have a cutout for access for the aft bunk. I've decided to build the starboard bunk the standard width as this will be John or Lily's cabin, but may raise the berth height a bit on the port hull for our berth. This will also change the height of bulkhead #6 so I feel it best to wait to see how this berth seems size wise before making any further decisions. I did get the framing cut for the port hull while I had the table saw setup and this will also help track the amount of timber I need to get to complete the hulls. The aft side of this bulkhead is completely framed.

I fired off a few frantic emails to Richard regarding the overall height of the bulkhead when in building phase. He assure me nothing would be over 8' As you can see, I have around a foot clearance to the roof. This should allow enough room to work and fit the bottom panels and hopefully get it glassed, perhaps prior to fitting the bilge panels. Also note the inner edge of this bulkhead is left square above the sheer as this part will join with additional sheets to create the aft end of the bridge deck cabin.

No comments:

Post a Comment