Saturday, December 17, 2011

Got Wood?

A large load of wood arrived Thursday and I purchased a further 13 sheets on Friday. Guess than was a bit risky a combo?

I'm using Okoume 1088 for the hull planking, some bulkheads and decks, but AB Marine Fir for bulkheads that will be glassed both sides and some AC fir for the hull bottoms as it is doubled 3/4". Managed to find locally some really nice 7 ply 3/4" fir which may end up being one of the best values in the whole boat. Will likely work a bit of Meranti in for the bilge planks as well. I think 9mm Okoume is spec'd for that, but I may use 12mm Meranti in that area as I'm planning to sail this boat many, many offshore miles. Some of the non critical interior pieces will hope fully make use of some nice birch UlraPly XL.

Need to go to Gainesville for another load of cypress timber soon as well....



Here we are trying to fit bulkhead #2, #1 and 1/2 of the inner transom onto a sheet of 3/8" ply. As I was eager to get started, Richard agreed to get me the plans a bit before they were ready for prime time. I've got to work out my own ply layouts and wrap my head around working on metric. My sole metric tape is a bit worn so need to replace that soon. Some US Woods builders have mentioned "having" to convert to imperial, but I figure "When in Rome" use metric or something like that.


Yes, I used our poor car to tow the wood up out of the street. On the subject of poor; this load of wood cost twice what the car did!



I ordered a large amount of the plywood needed from Noah's in Canada and it took a bit of time to arrive. It ended up coming a few days ahead of schedule with the truck showing up at 5pm Thursday. The problem was getting 1400 pounds of wood down a too small lift gate and then into the street, then into the driveway, then into the patio/ boatshed!

No comments:

Post a Comment