Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Tools

My little 1/4 sheet Makita sander gave out today. Most people would consider these something of a toy, but with heavy cloth backed 40 grit paper they really do a good job rounding off edges and getting into corners. My other Black and Decker broke several months ago, but was able to fix it today. On a side note, the best orbital sander I have ever used was called a Rupes when I worked at Southern Spars. They used 1/2 sheet orbitals to fair all their mega yacht mast ans booms. I bought this Black and Decker a few years ago at a used tool store. They considered it an inferior tool it being a B&D, but the label says made in France and it looks a lot like a Rupes. The Rupes are made in Italy, but maybe B&D got it wrong or whatever. It's a pretty good tool, but the paper attachment clips could be a bit better. Having the right tools certainly makes all the difference on this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment