Saturday, May 10, 2014

Safety First

So, I had bought all this orange paint. I had thought about doing a strip on the cabin side in typical Woods fashion, but there was some concern that the paint would not be color fast enough.  It turned out to be an ideal paint for working overhead, quite thick.  

At the same time I did certainly beat the boat with the homebuilt stick a bit here. You'd never see a production cat stock with orange on the underwing! Can you imagine the wifies questions of the salesman?  Why is that painted orange again? Reflects the UV radiation better?  If you follow one of the other cat build blogs, you'll note another builder recently painted 2 tiny orange stips on his 44' cats underwing.  Might as well just go for it. 

We also have noticed many of the higher latitude cruisers paint the top bit of the mast orange as well and it really increased your daytime visibility. And there was still plenty of paint. Anyone need a gallon of orange paint?

2 comments:

  1. Good to see progress. I once had a dinghy called (by its previous owner) "Orange Underwing" no idea why

    We didn't want hi vis anything when cruising in Venezuela

    I agree, fitting nets is very time consuming, even if the basic net is cheap. So usually these days I buy trampolines rather than make my own nets

    ReplyDelete
  2. The nets took maybe 1.5 days so not too bad. Will see how they hold up. May use webbing next time. I had thought about the downside of visibility, but planning to play it safe with the kids anyway,

    ReplyDelete