Saturday, August 10, 2013

Keeping it Simple

I had all kinds of neat ideas about clever swinging brackets, but have decided it's best for now to keep it simple. I have now roughed out port and starboard engine nacelles. I built them largely stich and glue and will ad some timber reinforcements on the inside as well. I'll pull them off and glass the outside before glassing them to the boat.
I positioned them just aft of the main cabin bridgedeck so they will receive 100mm of wave break and also the forward diagonal section will transfer the forward thrust of the motors onto the bridgedeck structure. I built this just slightly oversized for my Yamaha 8s as I think the ideal setup may prove to be a primary 15 or 20 hp EFI engine and maybe a 6 horse Tohatsu wing engine in the future. Note the bracket hang down past nacelle. this is because i removed and sold the tilt units off these motors for roughly the cost of the motors. i will either cut the brackets down or leave as is and just use a simple tackle to raise and lower the motors. The trim units on these motors are a constant issue as the motors are way to close to the waterline. unfortunately most of the new 25" kickers come with tilt standard and the suzuki and merc units look to be even worse than the yamaha clearance wise. Both these yamahas seem to run well so the I will use these while I do some initial coastal cruising (hopefully next spring/summer) and see how they work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment