Thursday, November 29, 2012

Glass

Haven't I done this already?  The weather had been quite cool for the first part of November and I was getting quite worried about getting the second hull glassed before "winter".  The last few days have been rather warm and it looks good for the next week and the other side!

In talking with another builder about cool weather glass work, he said "I preglassed my panels"  Sure (I said), I glassed the INSIDE of my panels, but what about all those screw holes (on the outside)?  I happened to know he used screws on 4" centres.  He said "no problem" I just glassed over the butt joints and filled the screw holes with filler. 

Yikes!!!  I have done this and seen it done when removing teak decks on fiberglass boats and you always end up with the screw heads showing and eventually bleeding thru as the materials expand and contract.  You HAVE!!! to glass over all screw holes to tie it all together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment