Thursday, February 9, 2012

The Pointy End

I've been plugging away the since the last update. I've just about got both sides entirely planked. I've refined my technique a bit, but all the cleanup an filleting on each panels bulkhead and stringer junctions takes quite a bit of time.





This picture shows the 2 amidships panels on the outboard side. Since each panel here is around 4.5' high a joint is required to reach to the sheer. Richard suggests filling the entire space between the top stringer and gunwale with a large butt block; which is what I did. In addition, this will give this area a bit more strength for going up against pilings, etc. So figure 2 full days to get it all laid out then finally glued and filleted per 8' of hull length.







I jointed the inboard panels at the bridgedeck stringer which made all the panels a bit easier to manage. The last panels forward share the large stringer to sheer butt block.






The stem has required quite a bit of shaping which I started today. I plan to add an additional 1 by 4 to the front. I also need to work out the forestay bridle attachments. Richard recommends bolting on a sizeable stainless padeye, but the lack of future access to the area down low near the waterline causes me some concerns. I've tossed around a few ideas including a composite chainplate or a glassed in tube to thread a spectra loop thru. I think I may go with the tube and loop idea. More to come on this as I still need to finish up the stem shaping, breasthooks, cut the chine curve, etc. I may start on the bottom planking for a change of pace and give me some more time to think of how best to close up the bow and attach that bridle.

No comments:

Post a Comment